What is Patch Management?
Patch Management is an area of systems management that involves acquiring, testing, and installing multiple patches (code changes) to an administered computer system. Patch management tasks include: maintaining current knowledge of available patches, deciding what patches are appropriate for particular systems, ensuring that patches are installed properly, testing systems after installation, and documenting all associated procedures. Patch management is easily considered a prime area of focus for IT professionals.
How can we help?
With CompIT Solutions’ patch management system you can be secure that we have your entire computing infrastructure covered from: servers, load balancers, storage arrays, appliances, network gear, to so much more. Our dedicated and experienced IT professionals, take full responsibility for implementing the right patches, at the right time.
2 Implementation Processes of Patch Management Services
In order to keep infrastructure computers patched and up to date, the two possible processes under which patches are regularly administered, are:
Manual Patch Management- Is when a company entrusts its personnel to keep patch management up to date on their own operating systems and applications. Although, such practices can seem cost effective, they can seriously compromise security and reliability.Automated Patch Management- Is a process which enables the automation of updates, helps protect IT infrastructure and end-user computers from possible security threats, while also supporting the installation of ongoing software bug fixes and feature enhancements.
What are the benefits of Automated Patch Management for businesses?
- Most software is updated by the software vendor either on a regularly scheduled basis or on an ad hoc basis as the need for software patching arises.
- Purchasing automated patch management services reduces the time IT personnel spend keeping operating systems and software applications up to date, as in the case of manual patch management.
- Small companies can greatly benefit from automated patch management tools, where manual end-user patching consistently falls short, leaving the company vulnerable to malware, intrusions, and possible legal or regulatory ramifications.
- In the case of larger companies and corporations, who adhere to various industry regulatory requirements, patching may be a required process in order to protect the organization from potential lawsuits from customers, suppliers and others who may be financially damaged by patch-related issues. Most notable example is the case of accidental or purposeful release of personally identifiable information.
- Whether or not to patch is not the dilemma — companies mustkeep their computer software up to date with the appropriate patches. There are governmental, legal, financial, healthcare and corporate regulations in most countries around the world, so patch management should be a priority for every company, regardless of location or industry.
At CompIT, we’ll keep you up and running so you can focus on your clients and your business.
For a Free IT Assessment or to get more information about our plans and services. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 732-363-7353.